My Tribute to Eze Igbo Gburugburu: What if Ojukwu Succeeded?

As a habit, I do not believe in saying good things about people when
they are dead. I always believe that if a bad person dies, the best
epitaph for him or her is to say how bad he or she was so that those
still living will take heed and amend their own ways.

Now that I have your attention, Sir Odimegwu Ojukwu is one man I have
admired all my life. From my childhood I have held bated breath
waiting for the time he will become president. Not so he can create
Biafra as some people think, but so that he can shame all these
thieves in Abuja and other state capitals who see our beloved nation
as failed when they are the root cause.

I see Ojukwu's role in the civil war this way: a man who believed in
something and fought for it with all his might and wealth. How many of
us would invest our family fortune in such a cause as he even when we
are assured victory? How many of the political prostitutes that people
our government even believe in anything other than lining their
pockets while the nation burns?

As people who lover and admire your selflessness mourn your demise, we
can only ask rhetorically, what if Ojukwu had succeeded? Wouldn't we
have had a better run two-state situation which would have naturally
emerged from healthy competition between politicians of each of the
states prove a point?

Our tears flow much more when we acknowledge that the very social
inequities that made you declare that war has not abated but has been
aggravated by the stupidity of those on whose shoulders the
responsibility of taking us to Promised Land has tragically fallen.
They have done more to help me rather than stop me from wishing that
you had succeeded.

Adieu, Ikemba Nnewi. Do tell those you meet on the other side that the
WAR to save Nigeria is still on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"My Husband washes my Undies"

Why Guys Don't Propose Fast Enough

Learning Deutsch