Much Ado About National Merit Award

The recently concluded National Merit Awards ceremony may have come
and gone, but the gullies (rather than ripples) it created, will
plague our much tortured soul forever.
The way our present crop of (mis)leaders are (wo)manning our
rudderless state always leaves a sour aftertaste. It makes me wonder
whether we are actually living in the same nation with them.

I have ceased to wonder about the yardstick for honouring this
kleptocratic throng and dishonouring Nigerians! Reason: we have a
different understanding of "merit" from them.

We, the people, believe "merit" to be positive but they also have a
contrary appreciation of positive. Or how do you explain giving these
awards to serving politicians whose pilfering fingers have not
abandoned its romance with the national till?

With the height of national insecurity, every one that calls himself a
leader should take the path of honour and resign. But not in Nigeria!
Even the police chief who deserves sack received national honours.
Tell me again that that is not an insult on Nigerians.

I am not a fan of Achebe's due to some personal disappointments in a
distant encounter with him. But I commend his resolve not to pen his
name on that list of dishonour.

Without any fear of contradiction from hapless country mates, I aver
that most people on that list are the reason why we have remained a
rich nation with a poor destiny. How I wish these terrorists would
know to use the right list, were they fighting for Nigeria and let
innocent people be.

Resign, you clueless bunch! Resign and go hide your faces in shame! We
will rise one day. I may not be in the throng that will hasten the end
of your ilk, but I sure will gloat rather than rue the last of your
National Awards of Dishonour for Deserving Thieves!

*hiss*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"My Husband washes my Undies"

Why Guys Don't Propose Fast Enough

Learning Deutsch