Between Iwu and Jega

I had to swallow a good number of things before summoning the creative courage to write this.
What was it that I swallowed, you may ask?
Well, my pride!


I had to swallow several doses of my pride before I could muster the impetus to say that I may have judged Jega too hastily.

As you read this, I want you to please note the date stamp on it. So that if Jega becomes a success tomorrow, in his latest venture,  you wouldn't classify me in the specie of bats.
The cancellation of the NASS elections in Nigeria yesterday (Saturday, 2nd April 2011), irked me so much that I poured my venom, like folks of my generation, on Facebook and Twitter.
At times, I wonder why it is called Facebook, when it is permanently asking: "What's on your mind?"
It should rather be called Mindbook.
Or better still, Complaintbook, for the numerous unsolicited complaints its commodious memory galaxy has been inundated with.
Most recently, it has suddently become Prayerbook.
Ask me why. Have you?
Check your Facebook, nay Prayerbook page now, and see if you won't be accosted by one individual's prayer to ... well, I don't know since I have not seen anybody that has God on his/her Facebook friends' list.


Whatever name it is given, it is serving a great purpose just like its other, twitter which has turned our fingers into being akin to the voluble beak of the parrot.
Dorisspeaks says something about "tweethearts" and I made a mental to update my dictionary with my pen because it is seriously lagging behind like Nigerian politicians.


That reminds me that I was talking about Jega
And there is Iwu in my title.
You want to hear it from me?
Okay, I seriously wish that Jega, for his own good, does not also inherit Iwu's treacherous paths alongside his seat,
Because our patience has run to tethers' end.
His generation has failed Nigerian youths and we hopefully expect him to salvage the little  grace which we reserve for them because within their ranks we can find our mothers and fathers.


Did you shudder that I said they have failed Nigerian youths?
Yes, they have and woefully at that for handing over to us a pulverised future.
Their generation went to universities on scholarships abroad
And has in turn embezzled every sponsorship opprotunity for today's youths
Their generation had jobs, good salary, a house and a car waiting for them on their return from England with a certificate after leaving behind a harem of pregnant white girls whose daughters will come seeking for them in the future,
And now as employers, they ask our young girls to lift their skirts and the young men to pay in order to be "considered" for employment.



The list is endless!


I hopefully hope that Jega will save the remaining face of his generation.
He has started well by owning up and apologising.
I agree with some "tweethearts" that under the Iwu era, results would have started coming out of Abuja even when voting materials have not left INEC headquarters.
Jega has started well with the apology and admittance of errors.
But more should be done, somebody must be held accountable for that failure
And then, he should further estrange himself from all the things and personalities that "Iwuruwuru" failed to avoid.
I pray I don't have to retract this apology for judging you too fast, Prof.
I tell you, I won't have to swallow anything to do so!



The sun is rising on Nigeria, I tell you
This time, it is for REAL.
Enough is Enough!


Le succès de vote, le Nigéria

Comments

Anonymous said…
From Gloria Ernest-Samuel:

Av swallowd my pride. I was bragn dat Jega wl make us proud givn his anteccedents as former ASUU President.My siblings now mock me. I wish he can succeed. Otherwise, am of d opinion dat he shld resign. I would do dat if l were in his shoes,bcos he was 2 dumb 2 wait till satday 2 inform Nigeria dat dia was no result sheets...he didnt say so in d press conference he organizd 2 announce INEC readiness. He didnt say it wen some govnors gave d friday public holiday. He waitd till election day 2 jolt Nigeria &equally embarass d nation. He's dumb, & mere apology isnt enough. Getn d election right wl help his case bt he shld b jailed. Dia contractor shld b takn 2 lnt'l court &equally b prosecutd. Its a big shame 4 us.
Anonymous said…
From Enuma Uba Okoh:

‎@Gloria;I agree that Jega appears to have bungled things up,but please,lets cut the man some slack!!Yes,he may not have announced that result sheets were not available,but have you thought that maybe he didn't do that because he honestly believed that it will be available on D-Day??methinks that Jega had done all he was suppossed to do as INEC chairman,it's the people he delegated tasks to that failed!!!Everyone knows that some Nigerians have vowed to either rig these elections or sabotage Jega's credibility.Please my people,let us give him the benefit of doubt...he deserves another chance!!!
Izuu Nwankwọ said…
From Izuu Nwankwo:

At the risk of sounding cheeky, I agree with both of you to large extent. The man should be given another chance till the elections are over. But in order to stem the tide of impunity in this country, somebody should be held accountable. There should be a prosecution of some sort or else Jega should take the full blame and ay for it! We don't have to continue paying heavily for errors of careless individuals.
Anonymous said…
From Oluebube S. Nwankwo:

I concur but could any of you refer me to the crime that was committed and which law was broken. In the absence of that, we should not hide our shame behind the wall of blame. Jega is a man like us, and the road he is travelling to get Nigeria to the promise land is full of wrong turns. Sometimes he makes the turns by himself and other times his associates do. Berate him all you want but be constructive about it. His is not an easy task believe me. So do cut him some slack ladies and gentlemen.
Izuu Nwankwọ said…
From Izuu Nwankwo:

Lawyers on the block. Wish these comments are on my bog where they won't be lost. I crave ur indulgences learned friend, to copy this and paste on my blog's comment page. I hope I am not breaking any law!
Anonymous said…
From Oluebube S. Nwankwo:

No breaking of law in that, but ur piece must be more IT compliant than mine, why don't you do me the honour? LOL
Izuu Nwankwọ said…
From Izuu Nwankwo:

Thanks. I hope I have the permission of the lady barrister too?
Anonymous said…
From Oluebube S. Nwankwo:

That is a matter for another occasion but considering that it will not do any harm whatsoever, I think her ladyship will agree with the plan.

Popular posts from this blog

"My Husband washes my Undies"

Why Guys Don't Propose Fast Enough

Learning Deutsch