Nigeria and the Big Brother Africa Show

On Sunday, the 2011 version of Big Brother Africa tagged "Big Brother
Amplified" came to an end. Among the two winning participants was a
Nigerian, Karen. Permit me to say that the other winner, Wendall from
Zimbabwe, came as a total shock to me.

Since the dawn of BBA on the African continent, Nigeria and Nigerian
contestants have come a very long way. Most especially, since the
Richard/Ofunneka saga which pitted the organisers of the show against
the Nigerian legislature over issues bothering on explicit content.
Since then, Nigeria has been coming up tops in the competition.

I am not questioning the integrity of the results. I have no basis
whatsoever to doubt their veracity. I in also aware that when it comes
to Africa, Nigeria is a giant even when crawling on its knees. The
nation and its people can take whatever prominence they want to take
so long as Africa is concerned. Unfortunately, the country's major
drawbacks come mostly from the nitwits that have been at its
leadership starting from the barrage of militocrats who robbed the
nation blind.

Apologies for the diversion!

Now back to BBA! My concern in the whole issue is the question of
morality. With the calibre of winners we are getting, one is concerned
about the kind of role models we are creating for posterity. Before
the dominance of Nigerians, one winner entered the house as engaged to
marry but his amorous escapades in the house raised questions about
his claims. Yet he went ahead and won.

Karen has won. She might pick up a eight with me if she gets to read
this. But on what modalities did she win? A few weeks ago I was
convinced that Luclay will get the money too. But after the day he
exposed his genitals, leaving them at the mercy of the mischievous
Millicent, he lost my sympathy. He could have also shed votes due to
his inexplicable crying sessions. Yet these are "crimes" Karen
committed incessantly and yet she won.

And I ask again, on what moral pedestal did she win. Someone might
argue that BBA isn't a religious programme and if I am in need of one
I should turn to TBN. But I ask, if we are not concerned about God and
religion, are we also not bothered about the influences that our
children are exposed to?

Congrats, Karen. Use your money well. But Africa should vote people
not for their deviant nature but for being truly African especially in
the area of decorum. I am getting a password for my decoder, my son
should not watch this, at least not in my house! The reason is simple:
I do not trust what it will do to him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"My Husband washes my Undies"

Why Guys Don't Propose Fast Enough

Learning Deutsch