Don't Even Know What to Call This!

My mother started it. We were watching a Nollywood movie. An older
woman was holding the hand of a younger man, in the industry's
characteristic way of contrived heterosexual intimacy, and mom asked
whether these actresses ever have the hope of getting married. On
further prodding, I was surprised that this mother of mine who
produced an artist in me, has a bias against performers especially as
regards matrimony.

My mind could not help itself from reeling at the thoughts of other
professions where I have had the same concerns as my mother. Let's
talk about banking and bankers! Or should I not? Without delving into
details, those who know are aware that the term "marketing" as regards
banking in Nigeria is nothing short of what I call corporate hawking
of sex. In a bid to meet stiff deposit targets set by their employers,
"marketers" of both sexes break boundaries of decorum as their bosses
connive with silence.

Yet like bees to honey, people flock to the industry and folks of my
mom's ilk hardly raise eyebrows. Why is that so? I hazard that it
might because of the suits they often cover themselves with even under sweltering heat.

But I didn't start writing this because of bankers. My angst is actually against doctors in relation to other people's spouses.

Your wife is ill. The first place she wants to go and see is a doctor. You drive her in your car, burn your fuel and spend time and energy just to take your wife to another man - a doctor. On getting there you are made to wait. And when he is ready for both of you, you will personally lead your wife into the consulting room. If the doctor is civil enough to allow you stay while he ostensibly examines your wife, you will be subjected to a kind of silent trauma I am yet to find a name for. You know what it took you before you could see your wife nude. But this listless stranger in a white robe treats everything casually.

He gets a pair of plastic gloves as he banally tells her to undress. While she hurriedly separates lingerie from her skin, you occupy your mind with a pretence that you do not know what he is going to do with the gloves! I will leave the rest to your imagination.

For me the most annoying aspect is that after this stranger has wantonly invaded your private territory, you are mandated to politely say "thank you" while your wife pulls her panties up and the doctor in trying to keep a straight face turns his back to you as if he didn't do what he just did. and as if that isn't enough, you have to pay with your hard-earned money.
I tell you, it's even worse when the doctor is your friend. Your mother, your wife, your daughter - the doctor not only sees all, you still have to pay for their invasion of privacy you only access in the case of your wife.

These were the counter motions I raised to my mother about other professions. An artist touches a girl in a film and every one is crying "abomination" even though once the camera pans out, the girl will slap off his hands. But the doctor will not only see but will also enter! We need to worry about them more, else all of us will become doctors if only to protect certain protectorates!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"My Husband washes my Undies"

Why Guys Don't Propose Fast Enough

Learning Deutsch