Funny Things We Do

Everyone wants to be loved. Even the most sadistic of humans wants to
be liked. And in a bid to gain approval we all do certain things that
sometimes border on the very ridiculous.

I had a classmate back in my undergraduate days, whom I will choose to
call by his nickname, Ogun Priest. In our second year or first, we had
departmental night somewhere in another city. A beauty contest was
organised for the event. Among the contestants was a girl that I have
to be very careful in describing.

I do not have the right to say that anyone is ugly because I believe
that we are all beautiful in our own ways. It is also true that beauty
is in the eye of the beholder. But for this lady, 'ugly' seems to be
the most appropriate adjective for her physical features.

Ogun Priest did not mince words when he wondered aloud why this lady
chose to make herself a laughing stock. And I trying to rationalise
her actions said, "May be her friends deceived her!" To this
suggestion Ogun Priest had a quick retort: "What kind of deception are
you talking about? Does she not own a mirror?"

Why resurrect this tale? Someone smiled at me today. I believe the
smile was meant to make me accept the individual but rather than that
I was transported back to the story above. Do we really need to force
people to accept us? The one who does appreciate us for who we are are
the ones we shouldn't even give a hoot about.

I have taken Ogun Priest's advice and I implore you to do same: GO GET A MIRROR!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"My Husband washes my Undies"

Why Guys Don't Propose Fast Enough

Learning Deutsch