As My Country's Darkness Grows Thicker...

Having spent this weekend in a permanent power outage that has
survived till this Monday afternoon, I guess I am now in the proper
state of mind to do justice to this topic. Working from my
now-on-low-battery phone rather than from a laptop, due to lack of
electricity, also stirs my Muse in the queerest of ways (permit my
grammar please).

I spent a greater part of this year in Europe, three months plus. And
in the entire period I experienced just one power outage while working
at the office in the university. I quickly grabbed my laptop to
Facebook it. In my mind of minds, I just wanted to discredit Europe's
much touted invincibility. But when I got home from the office, the light was on and
didn't look as if it was ever off. Later on, when I asked about the
office incident I was told that the outage was just for the university
building due to repairs on the ever-efficient elevators. Did I say
repairs? My bad! They were installing brand new ones. And I was among
the first to ride one of them.

Like I was saying, the power cut in the university building that fateful
day in March, was duly advertised. And I appear to be the only one who
didn't get to hear about it. The announcement was in French and except when speaking in tongues, it is a language I hardly use because I don't officially understand it. But I didn't tender a Facebook apology then even after getting to know what I found out. APOLOGIES TO MY SWEET BELGIAN CITY OF LIÈGE!

My first week back home: I absent-mindedly turned a decorative tap
over the sink in my kitchen after pouring liquid soap on my hands in
an attempt to wash my hands. I obviously thought I was back in Europe where taps are still functional. And as if to take their pound of flesh
for the leisures I allowed myself to indulge in while in Europe,
internet and electricity have been more vicious to me in their
unavailability here.

I took a train from Liège to Paris, a two-hour ride. And the return
trip was also by train. It was a sweet side to and fro Paris. I
actually found out the return train from Paris passes through Brussels
in Belgium and them terminates in Cologne, Germany. Chineke! Was I not
pleasantly shocked to discover that the trains are driven by
electricity. From Liège to Maastricht, The Netherlands! Liège to
Antwerp! All by trains that run on electricity! In Paris, the Metro
which is twenty feet below the surface, and the trains slightly above
them as well as the intercontinental version on the surface, all run
on electricity.

In my country, assuming we have trains and we are dependent on them
for the bulk of our transport of humanity and goods; and they are
designed to run on electricity, what will become of us? Imagine a trip
from, say Lagos to Abuja. How long will it take? Factually, no one
can tell except PHCN.

The irony of the darkness within which my nation and its tactless
(mis)leaders are groping is that the more money they ostensibly throw
at solving the power crisis, the more darkness we end up getting.
Permit my Eurocentrism, please ... could someone give us a European
torch or at least a Chinese brand before someone from the masses
throws a Tunisian spanner in the works?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"My Husband washes my Undies"

Why Guys Don't Propose Fast Enough

Learning Deutsch