GOVERNOR SANUSI AND MY FENCE-SITTING AGENDA

I laugh in Greek, yet again! Not at my beloved Sanusi Lamido Sanusi
(God forbid!) But at the most wonderful and unbelievably improbable
specie of humans on planet earth; Nigerians.

Another big iroko has fallen and as usual, a section of the
traumatised Nigerians are applauding and the other are cursing and
abusing! And me, am laughing again especially at a stupid post I saw
this evening which claims to have itemised Sanusi's hidden crimes. All
in the usual Nigerian way of "let's make the fallen former big man
chop sand." And as I looked at the list of the purported hidden
agenda, I am surprised at how overtly parochial we as a people are.
For instance, the author claims that Sanusi has a ethno-religious
agenda. In running CBN? Most of the accusations levelled by this young
man reek of his own lack of objectivity - Mallam Sanusi is not from my
tribe and not from my faith, as such, he is working against me.

And then, that congregation of strange bed fellows, the amalgam of
frustrated politicians, bearing the rubric "largest opposition party
in Nigeria", has come up with its own myopic interpretation - anything
GEJ and his PDP do is evil, even if they resign. Some others now add
that SLS is being relieved of his CBN duties because he is in the know
about financial impropriety in NNPC, Nigeria's pot of gold. I heard
someone shouting in the House of Reps that the investigations ought to
have been completed before the CBN governor could be sacked.

Hmmm! Incidentally, I belong to the group of Nigerians who always know
that in this country, things are not usually what they look like. I am
always suspicious of every move made by Nigerian politicians and their
so-called hired-hand technocrats. Where these people are concerned,
there is no smoke without fire! There's a proverb that says: the
animal that climbs with its teeth, knows the taste of every tree. So
are Nigerian politicians. It is only they (and perhaps, the heavens)
that know what has REALLY transpired in the sacking of SLS, just a few
months to the end of his tenure.

And I am reminded of his predecessor, Prof. Soludo. If I say that SLS
has committed the same error as Soludo did, some will disagree. But
the truth is that, as Souldo tried re-denomination without informing
the then President Yar'dua, SLS is in the habit of over-heating the
polity with unguarded comments even before speaking with his
superiors. For me, I don't know about the little details of how he
fared as CBN governor (I guess he did well), but the singular fact
that with his office he gradually felt himself as being superior to
the Head of State, I categorise in the same mould as Soludo -
technocrats who become politicians by listening so much to those they
should be careful listening to. On the other hand, what becomes of the
accusations this man fearlessly made. Forget the theatrics sha, the
man could have resigned honourably and then expose what he knows. But
sitting down in the mire and telling us every other person has got
slime except you, is an impossibility that happens only in Nigeria.

Nevertheless, the timing of SLS' sack leaves a trail of suspicions and
questions which the government of the day must deem fit to answer.
Don't tell me that they have done that already through their official
megaphone. Please, don't do that! I will write about this man one day
cause he is surely a good example of how politicians smear everything
they touch. A fine example of a former good man, which our nation is
being peopled with by default since the days of the generals.

I think I've said all I really want to say about SLS except to say
that he is a man I love so much. He's fearless and courageous. But he
sometimes allows his sentiments to get the better of him! This is his
own tragic flaw. I do wish that someday, someone like him will run for
presidency in place of the group of opportunists that I see today
especially from his part of the country.

For now, I will enjoy the fence where I am sitting as this fiasco
plays out the usual Nigerian way - nothing happens and life goes on!
Those who don chop de money don chop and those wey no get go continue
to de complain till dem chop am... just like APC!

My laughter continues...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"My Husband washes my Undies"

Why Guys Don't Propose Fast Enough

Learning Deutsch