Of ASUU, FG and Lack of Leadership

I have resisted the urge to write on the FG-ASUU impasse which is disgracefully in its fifth month now, with the hope that either of the parties will do something patriotic and I will write a commendation note. But as the days turned to weeks, and weeks into months, that dream continued to be a mirage.

In time past, I write about a nation without shame. It is very regrettable that shame is gone out of our national life and people are wont to live, eat and swim in open sewers and yet they perpetually grin from ear to ear as if their abode is superior to God's paradise.

Now, I am no longer concerned about all the hearsay about what ASUU said to FG and vice versa, I am rather peeved by the recent developments which culminated in the tragic death of Prof. Festus Iyayi at the hand of a governor's convoy killer-squad. Not being a witness to the incident means I am not qualified to adjudge which of the versions of the tale making the rounds is true. One is however astounded at the lack of focus on the part of Nigeria's leaders.

Up till this moment, I am yet to hear about any sincere overture to ASUU from the Federal Government which is accompanied with a direct condemnation of the recklessness of Gov. Wada's convoy killer-squad.

What are they waiting for? Before they start with their usual propaganda, let us remind ourselves of the time that has passed before any useful response from the government. Instead of reaching out to ASUU and showing true leadership and solidarity (even if he doesn't mean it), the President went to PDP gubernatorial campaign flag-off  at Onitsha, where he proudly told the world that he absented himself from CHOGM in Sri Lanka in order to be at the PDP rally.

I don't know about you, but this tells me how the priorities of this government are set. Students have been home since July and rather than become proactive, these politicians are preoccupied with showing Nigerians how busy they are with other businesses. And they say Nero was fiddling while Rome burnt; at least, he wasn't looting the treasury like these ones!

Before I go into hibernation again, where are those hired women that shamelessly pranced around Abuja with a two-week ultimatum to ASUU? By now, the money they collected would have been exhausted and their foolishness obvious to them and their supporters.

I am a proud ASUU member! I will always be! Solidarity forever!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"My Husband washes my Undies"

Why Guys Don't Propose Fast Enough

Learning Deutsch