My Grouse With Jonathan!

Jonathan, for me here, is a metonymic allusion to the Nigerian
politicians from the Federal to the Local Government levels. It's
nothing personal at all. I respect the president and as such I am
peeved greatly by individuals who disparage his family, especially our
dear first lady, for her so-called mishandling of English grammar. The
most annoying aspect of this is that these characters seem to be
oblivious of their own misfiring. I have learnt that those who learnt
English better than us, hardly use it to measure intelligence.


My angst with today's politician does not suppose that I blame them
for the intractable hunger in the nation, but because they have failed
to make the changes necessary to give us hope for a better tomorrow. I
am not talking about the government-owned media white-wash and glossy
statements of politicians but about personal sacrifices for the common
good.



How can someone own several palatial homes in one city alone? 
How can an individual own several expensive cars at a time, in the name of convoy?
How many rooms does an individual need to sleep at a time?
How many cars does one need to carry just him or herself?
And in spite of their many homes, they prefer to sleep in glitzy hotels,
Fly first-class just to go to toilet!
At whose expense?


And you, my dear Jonathan!
It's not your fault that those you appointed are corrupt
It's also not your fault that they loot the treasury
At least I am sure you wouldn't tell them to do so
We don't blame you for their wrongs
But you are as guilty when you don't do anything about it!


I guess, you don't read the papers or hear the news
You have started sounding monotonous recently
Saying the same things when different tax-paying Nigerians are being mowed down
I know your advisers would be afraid to tell you
But you really need to call for recordings of your reactions
Since you woke up and saw your lucky self in Aso Rock
And maybe you'll begin to see what monotony is!


The unfortunate fact about Nigeria
Is that we are not as lucky as those who get to rule us.
Check all of them, they "fortunately" find themselves transformed
Into presidents even from prison or sick bed!
But we are waiting! The clock is ticking!
We're waiting for that one leader; that Jonathan
That will take the bull by the balls
And steer this great country to real greatness!
None seem to be doing so presently
That's my grouse with all ye Jonathans of our time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"My Husband washes my Undies"

Why Guys Don't Propose Fast Enough

Learning Deutsch