Reminiscing on the Pope's New Stance on Homosexuality

Before proceeding, I crave your indulgence to please try and
understand where I am coming from. I respect the Papal office and the
belief of billions of Catholics the world over! My thoughts here are
borne out of the confusion emanating from the recent double-speak of
people who should know better!

In the past two weeks, the British Prime Minister fired the first
salvo by saying that it is his mission to export "tolerance" for same
sex relations to the utmost ends of the earth. I shuddered! Our own
dear Pat Utomi remarked: "But his ancestors exported Christianity and
civilisation." What more can I add?

Then came our dear fiery fighter against Apartheid, Desmond Tutu who
said: "I'd rather stay in the hottest part of hell than serve a
homophobic God." Hmmm! I really don't know how to respond to this! Why
now, at his retirement? I would have thought that people like that
would have secured their places in heaven at the right hand side of
Abraham. But here he is talking about opting for the hottest part of
hell!

And then, after holding a mass for over three million worshippers at
the Copacana Beach in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; the Pope's "inspired"
message for the world is "Who am I to judge gay people" coupled with a
lot of double speak! Haba! Are we fools? We didn't start reading the
Bible yesterday. Or do they now have a newly inspired version which
endorses this madness.

There is no middle ground, people. We must not deceive ourselves. Sin
is sin! Why was Sodom and Gomorrah destroyed? Have we forgotten so
soon or has the story been expunged from their Bibles? Have we
suddenly forgotten that homosexuality is also called sodomy?

Let me say it: it is disappointing to hear the pope come up with such
a compromising tone about homosexuality! Forget the grammatical
somersaults that a lot of Catholics have come up with to defend the
Pope. What remains for Nigerian Catholics to do is to do what the
Nigerian Communion of the Anglican church did when the Church of
England decided to ordain gay priests: denounce what the Pope said in
order to retain focus of the teeming adherents who stand the risk of
being led astray by the Pope's liberal statements.

On a final note, I am not a gay hater. I believe that every adult
deserves to choose how to use their bodies. But two things I don't
agree with: their preferences are not superior to mine and vice versa.
As such, I am free to express my opinion without be labelled a
homophobic fellow. Two, the church shouldn't lose its focus in the
face of new found aberrant agitations.

Comments

Unknown said…
My brother nice writeup. I have not heard the pope's comment untill now. But looking at what you wrote I would love to believe that he simply meant it is not in his place to judge them. I will have issues with him when I hear or see him or him allow for the ordination of a Gay priest.
One final note. In your last paragraph u did the same thing the Pope did according to your write up.

Popular posts from this blog

"My Husband washes my Undies"

Why Guys Don't Propose Fast Enough

Learning Deutsch