Olympics Medal Drought: I Am One Nigerian that is not Surprised

Yes, I am not surprised
And so are other compatriots
Who are honest to themselves

Let's stop the pretence
Did we even plan to win
Or to send people who will end up
Getting overblown estacodes?

China and the USA that are doing relay
At the top of the medals table
Did not start planning yesterday

And did I hear that people of Nigerian
Parentage won medals for other countries?
Yes, they did!
But thank goodness they aren't competing
For their fatherland
Because the incompetence that has become us
Would have robbed off on them!

Honestly! I sometimes wish my grand parents
Were among the slaves taken to the Americas
Perhaps if they had survived there, like they did here
I may have been a Usain Bolt,
A Martin Luther. A Mohammed Ali.
A Michael Jackson. A T.D. Jakes
You name them!

At least, I would be among people who value
The sanctity of life
Believe it or not
Racism any other place
Is better than the inhumanity that has long
Become our humanity

We will get Olympics diamond medals
If we ever develop the foresight
Of creating games for fraud, murder,
Nepotism, corruption, bad leadership
We already have platinum and diamond in them
Let's forget London, Rio and the ones beyond
Unless we can at least work at becoming humans again

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"My Husband washes my Undies"

Why Guys Don't Propose Fast Enough

Learning Deutsch