Unpacking at the Airport

On my way out, the day was February 11th 2011, I was made to unpack and repack my single luggage into a two-bag luggage at the airport in Lagos.

What was my crime? My single bag weighed more than the maximum requirement and I needed to divide the bag into two. That meant, buying a miserable Ghana-must-go bag for three times the price. Don’t ask about the consternation I caused arriving at Brussels National Airport with luggage among which is a Ghana-must-go bag.

But I am more concerned about the return trip!

With so many good things to take home and so many expectants hands back home expectant of these goodies, I could not help having bags that exceeded the maximum weight I am allowed. Choosing what to and what not to take was not an easy one. Eventually after a three-day packing, unpacking, and re-packing experiment, I arrived at a four-item instead of the three-item luggage the airline allows. I was ready to bluff my way through and get my luggage back home, somehow!

It was not to be. I had to look at the faces of the two attendants at the check-in counter. There was a long haired guy and a lady both of which did not hurriedly disclose their disposition as we stood on the queue awaiting our turn. However, I decided to go for the long-haired guy, and that turned out to be a good choice because the lady at the other counter was stone-facedly attending to a lady who was encountering the same excess luggage problems I was to face.

“I am afraid your luggage is over weight,” cried the long-haired attendant, good-naturedly. “You will have to pay, and it is 50 Euros per bag.”

Hearing the bad news I had expected, made me feel like a fool already. The long haired one then advised me that paying 100 Euros for the bags would be an unnecessary waste of money. Then came the suggestion that I should overload one bag and then reduce the other so that I will pay for one bag excess rather than two. That way, I will only be charged 50 Euros.

Good idea! I didn't have to buy any Ghana-must-go bag here. That is very irrelevant compared to the demeaning act of having to unpack my bags at the airport. But being left with no choice at all, I set to work immediately. It is a good thing also that DT and I made it to the airport as early as we could. I wish I can also say that we made it to the airport as cheaply as we can.

To my mind, we had the most expensive ride from Liege to Brussels National Airport because in trying to get off the train as fast as we can at the Brussels Central Station, we forgot to take DT's 60 Euros multiple trip train ticket. That was not funny at all because I felt that it wouldn't have happened if I didn't have so many bags that she was helping me take care of. But the deed has been done. She said, "I have just succeeded in making someone else very happy." And I add, sadly: "While making us very unhappy!"

Don't ask; you know what I'm doing
So we set to work; unpacking the carefully packed bags that refused to be lighter until a good number of important stuff has been removed from them.

Another black guy joined me. His bags needed to be reduced also. And I ask, is there something true about black guys carrying more luggage than they need? Or is it just that we don't like paying for the extra load?

Your guess is as good as mine. I am home. Arrived safely after our good friend made us pay the mandatory 50 Euros for the bag that refused to take the tag: "Excess Baggage."

That's what the counter where we paid read and DT remarked that it is not a very pleasant designation. Yet, my bag refused to shirk off that tag and made us pay 50 Euros for it! I have just learnt one lesson: "Mind what you are taking, bro!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"My Husband washes my Undies"

Why Guys Don't Propose Fast Enough

Learning Deutsch