Thank God, Air is Still Free!

Assuming air is a commodity like water, found in different quantities at different locations.
In a country like mine, how would it be distributed?
There will surely be serious shortage because even with a dam,
Water is not sufficient,
Electricity is epileptic
Fish is inabundant
But flooding is most welcome
Environmental degradation is rampant
And huge sums of money, by way of visible abracadabra, disappear into private purses, pockets and personal possessions.
We are a people who take pleasure in lack amidst plenty

Assuming air is fuel, gas, kerosene or any of the derivatives we have in abundance
In a land like ours, how much of it can an individual have?
Of course, we have dysfunctional refineries
In God's Name, how does one build, not just one referinery, but many of them
With huge sums of money, only for every one of them to break down
To the point of no "mmekwatalism?"
All we get is stories, always from reliable sources on conditions of anonymity
And I ask, what is wrong in naming names and baring all truths?
How come we are a people so allergic to doing anything in an honest way?

What am I even on, about?

It is Ebola o!
I was just going to write a short epistle to my children about
The first and only time I have seen promptness and commitment to anything
By any Nigerian government.
I was happy I have found one positive thing to say about any sitting government
In my country....

Mind you, I am not a party to those who castigate GEJ for myriad crimes,
Ineptitude, lactlustre performance, visionlessness and corruption.
I am not among those who blame the PDP for all the woes of our nation.
Far from it!

I am rather among the few that have nothing against Jonathan other than that he hasn't chosen to be different in any way.
Specifically speaking, I will join the band of anti-Jonathanians when anyone shows me
In what way(s) GEJ's predecessors were any better!
Believe me when I tell you that the problem of successive leadership in Nigeria is the fact that all preceding governments have been bad examples at what leadership is all about.
As a result, those who follow turn out to be worse.
Hence, the best government that we will ever get is the one that will deviate from the norm 
And for once, choose to do things differently
Until that time comes, permit me to hold on to my pessimism about not only GEJ and his PDP, but also about the APCs and others posturing as upstart saviours of our marooned ship of state
I can only say: By their precedents, you shall know them!

Who in APC, would you say that, given his antecedents that he or she will do this nation great good if he or she makes it into Aso Rock in 2015?
Am still looking. I haven't seen much
The two people I have seen may never make it into that place in their life time
One is someone I love a lot, whom I know will never make it
Not because of religious or ethnic biases, but due to the fact that the elites of his own society
Are very wary of him and will never allow him to make it
Also, given the "congregation of strange bed fellows" that APC has become,
It remains to be seen how a single presidential candidate will eventually emerge

Now to the second, the present governor of Lagos State.
Weeks back, I would have said that if he emerges as the candidate of APC
I will vote for and canvass for votes for him
Because before our very eyes, he turned Lagos
Into El-Rufai's Abuja - Yes, I prefer El-Rufai in government than the one in forced opposition!
Forced, of course. Ask GEJ to offer him a post and see if I am wrong.
Anyone who defends OBJ's government and condemns GEJ's cannot be trusted.
What is the difference?

I liked Fashola until he decided to fire back at the PDP for the Ebola eradication claims!
Mind you, I am still scared of Ebola before another sour Liberian decides to go globe trotting again.
Now, that country has the most treacherous export: Ebola
Ask Nigeria and Sawyer; ask the US and Duncan!

Fashola purportedly asked whether the PDP-led FG has ever seen Ebola.
And I ask him, has he seen Ebola himself?
History often takes kindly to those who allow it (history/herstory itself) to tell the tale
The story of Ebola and its removal from Nigeria, from my viewpoint, is a successful one
And the glory must be shared between FG and Lagos State government
As well as other state governments that rallied to boot Ebola out of 9ja
In my own state, I am aware of how Gov. Obiano, who was still new at the saddle then
Made hasty but strategic efforts to ensure that Ebola didn't Anambra to its list of casualty states.
The Enugu  and Rivers state governments also made a lot of moves to safeguard their states.
So, why politicize the only success I can tell my children that I have seen government attain in my generation?

My grouse: Assuming air isn't free
Will it not be distributed according to politicial affiliation - APC or PDP?
And even at that, the elites will confiscate all and the masses will die of lack of air.
As if any of them is reading this....
Make I go sleep joor!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"My Husband washes my Undies"

Why Guys Don't Propose Fast Enough

Learning Deutsch