Prof. Mahadi and the. Making of Gombe State University

Many things have been written and documented about the ten-year administration of Professor Abdullahi Mahadi at the Gombe State University, Gombe. People who know him more than I do and those who met him even before I was born have variously eulogized this great manager of people and resources. I have never met him one-on-one, but having worked under him in the past six years, I wish to say a few words to mark the end of his tenure at Gombe State University, Gombe.

I joined Gombe State University in 2008. By that time, the University has existed for four years. I still remember the first time I walked through the gates of this great institution to attend my interview. I was shocked to see a well-planned environment that beat all my expectations hands-down. I am aware of how new universities in my country are: run-down facilitates, make-shift everything, and run-down uncompleted/on-going projects which may never be completed. With this kind of inchoate milieu, it is very improbable that anyone will consider beautifying the environment. But not Prof. Mahadi's GSU. At four years, it was already wearing the looks of a beautiful university. The roads were already paved, and the lawns and flower beds were properly trimmed and green. The meticulous way in which these greens were protected and taken care of ensured that they are still as green as ever, the trees are luscious and beautiful buildings have also joined to make GSU a sight to behold.

Before I leave you with astounding pictures of what GSU has become, let me commend Prof. Mahadi for a job well done. In the typical Nigerian way of doing things, someone of my extraction has no business in Gombe, let alone in its state university. But not with this administrator. I guess he has learned in his long years of VCship both at ABU and GSU that universities grow on having people come from as many different backgrounds as possible. In GSU, I haves seen, not only different kinds of Nigerians, but foreigners both from the continent and beyond it. We have all come to make Gombe a home away from home. Without delving into specifics of the benefits one has received from Prof. Mahadi's administration, it is pertinent to know that the reason we have all stayed is because we have never been viewed as outsiders by the management of the university. And for this reason, so many of us still find GSU and Gombe in general accommodating and settling. 

I wish Prof? Mahadi all the best in his future endeavors as he completes his tenure as the pioneer VC of Gombe State University. Just know, sir, that whatever that University is today and what it will become are products of the good foundation you have laid. May God continue to keep and reward you  in good measures. So long.

Now to pictures. They do not lie...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"My Husband washes my Undies"

Why Guys Don't Propose Fast Enough

Learning Deutsch