PDP, I know; APC, I can Foresee

One of my friends has had "APC Alhamdulillah" on her BBM status
message for sometime now.
Though I haven't broached the topic with her, I've hitherto kept my
cynicism to myself.
I used "cynicism" in case APC turns out to prove me wrong ... and I so
wish they do, for the collective good of Nigerians.

PDP, according to most people, has failed.
APC tells us PDP hasn't done anything good in 14 years.
And claim that APC will do better in their first 4 years.
I simply laugh because the only thing new about APC is their acronym,
nothing else.
This is because within their ranks I see the following:

I) The same tired old faces, some of whom may not have been in PDP,
but were surely part of the military governments that permanently
ruined the country or part of earlier republics.

II) The same desperation to grab power at all costs which has made PDP
one of the greatest assembly of strange bed fellows.

III) The same firebrand speeches which have fuelled violence in the
past because even before going to the polls they already believe they
are the preferred party in Nigeria.

IV) The same under-handed jostling for positions and party tickets
especially with veiled ethno-religious sentiments that took away
internal democracy from older parties.

V) The same hurry to fill all elective positions even when the party
itself is yet to establish itself adequately.

VI) The same proliferation of gerontocrats where the youths get
insignificant positions as window dressing.

VII) The same lack of political ideology which will first be sold to
the populace and then worked on till the people themselves see the
need for voting for APC.

VIII) The same lack of clearly defined plan for the nation other than
"Let's get there first, the rest will follow!"

IX) The same error of building parties around individuals rather than
as institutions which will outlive the persons that started the
parties.

Ultimately, the truest test of APC credibility as a better alternative
to other parties will be in 2014 when its presidential flag-bearer
will emerge.
Until then, I will hold on to my skepticism because great parties take
time to develop. It's only in our clime that parties develop today and
win elections tomorrow.

I do wish for sake of us all that I am wrong about APC.
I will gladly tender an unreserved apology,
And then will, for the first time, will apply to become a
card-carrying member of any party on earth.

PS: If I can advise APC it will be: "Talk less, work more on Nigerians
if you truly believe in democracy!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"My Husband washes my Undies"

Why Guys Don't Propose Fast Enough

Learning Deutsch